If you use Darshan in a scholarly work, then we recommend that you cite one of the papers highlighted in blue below. The “Understanding and improving computational science storage access through continuous characterization” paper contains information about how Darshan can be used for I/O studies, while the “24/7 characterization of petascale I/O workloads” paper has more implementation details for the library itself.
Publications from the Darshan team:
- Argonne Leadership Computing Facility, “ALCF I/O Data Repository”, Technical Memorandum ANL/ALCF/TM-13/1, Argonne National Laboratory, February 2013. PDF
- P. Carns, Y. Yao, K. Harms, R. Latham, R. Ross, and K. Antypas, “Production I/O Characterization on the Cray XE6,” In Proceedings of the Cray User Group meeting 2013 (CUG 2013). PDF
- P. Carns, K. Harms, R. Latham, and R. Ross, “Performance Analysis of Darshan 2.2.3 on the Cray XE6 Platform,” Technical Memorandum ANL/MCS-TM-331, Argonne National Laboratory, October 2012. PDF
- Philip Carns, Kevin Harms, William Allcock, Charles Bacon, Samuel Lang, Robert Latham, and Robert Ross. Understanding and improving computational science storage access through continuous characterization. In ACM Transactions on Storage, 7:8:1-8:26, October 2011. PDF
- Philip Carns, Kevin Harms, William Allcock, Charles Bacon, Samuel Lang, Robert Latham, and Robert Ross. Understanding and improving computational science storage access through continuous characterization. In Proceedings of 27th IEEE Conference on Mass Storage Systems and Technologies (MSST 2011), 2011. (Best Paper Award) PDF
- Philip Carns, Robert Latham, Robert Ross, Kamil Iskra, Samuel Lang, and Katherine Riley. 24/7 characterization of petascale I/O workloads. In Proceedings of 2009 Workshop on Interfaces and Architectures for Scientific Data Storage, September 2009. PDF
- Michaela Zimmer, Michael Kluge, and Philip Carns. Analyzing Parallel I/O. BOF meeting at the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC14), November 2014. PDF
- Philip Carns. I/O characterization of large-scale applications with Darshan. The SciDAC Institute of Scalable Data Management, Analysis and Visualization All Hands Meeting, February 2014. Poster/Slides
- Kevin Harms. I/O Profiling and Tuning – Darshan. SUPER SciDAC – Fall 2012 Meeting. PDF
- Philip Carns. HEC I/O Measurement and Understanding Panel Presentation. HEC FSIO 2011 Workshop. PDF
Other publications that have utilized Darshan:
- H. Luu, M. Winslett, W. Gropp R. Ross, P. Carns, K. Harms Prabhat, S. Byna, and Y. Yao. A Multiplatform Study of I/O Behavior on Petascale Supercomputers. 24th International ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC 2015), 2015.
- Sean McDaniel. Comparing decoupled I/O kernels versus real traces in the I/O analysis of the HACC scientific application on large-scale systems. Poster at the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC14), 2014. Poster Abstract
- Dong Dai, Robert B Ross, Philip Carns, Dries Kimpe, and Yong Chen. Using property graphs for rich metadata management in HPC systems. In Procedings of the 9th Parallel Data Storage Workshop (PDSW 2014), 2014.
- Babak Behzad, Joseph Huchette, Huong Vu Thanh Luu, Ruth Aydt, Surendra Byna, Yushu Yao, Quincey Koziol, and Prabhat. A framework for auto-tuning hdf5 applications. In Proceedings of the 22nd international symposium on High-performance parallel and distributed computing, HPDC ’13, pages 127-128, New York, NY, USA, 2013. ACM. PDF
- B. Behzad, J. Huchette, H. Luu, R. Aydt, S. Byna, M. Chaarawi, Q. Koziol, Prabhat, and Y. Yao, “Auto-tuning of parallel I/O parameters for HDF5 applications,” Poster at the ACM/IEEE SuperComputing Conference (SC’12), November 2012. PDF
- Rob Latham, Chris Daley, Wei-keng Liao, Kui Gao, Rob Ross, Anshu Dubey, and Alok Choudhary. A case study for scientific I/O: improving the FLASH astrophysics code. In Computational Science & Discovery, 5(1):015001, 2012. PDF
- N Liu, J Cope, P Carns, C Carothers, R Ross, G Grider, A Crume, C Maltzahn. On the Role of Burst Buffers in Leadership-Class Storage Systems. Proceedings of 28th IEEE MSST conference, 2012.
- Bjørn Lindi. I/O-profiling with Darshan. Whitepaper published by the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe, 2012. PDF
- J. Fu, M. S. Min, R. Latham, C. D. Carothers. Parallel I/O Performance for Application-Level Checkpointing on the Blue Gene/P System. The Workshop on Interfaces and Architectures for Scientific Data Storage (IASDS), in conjunction with IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, September 2011. PDF
- Ning Liu, Jing Fu, Christopher D. Carothers, Onkar Sahni, Kenneth E. Jansen, and Mark S. Shephard. Massively parallel I/O for partitioned solver systems. Parallel Processing Letters, 20(4):377–395, 2010. PDF
- Steven H. Langer, Charles H. Still, Denise Hinkel, A. Bruce Langdon, and Edward A. Williams. pF3D simulations of laser-plasma interactions using more than 100 thousand BlueGene processors. In Proceedings of 2010 Nuclear Explosives Code Development Conference (NECDC), 2010.
Please contact us if you would like to have your paper added to the list.