MeshKit is an open-source library of mesh generation functionality. Its design philosophy is two-fold: it provides a collection of meshing algorithms for use in real meshing problems, along with other tools commonly needed to support mesh generation (coordination of BREP-based meshing process, mesh smoothing, etc.); and it serves as a platform in which to perform mesh generation algorithm research.
MeshKit has general mesh manipulation and generation functions such as Copy, Move, Rotate and Extrude mesh. In addition, new quad mesh and embedded boundary Cartesian mesh algorithm (EBMesh) are developed to be used. Interfaces to several public-domain tetrahedral meshing algorithms (Gmsh, netgen) are also offered.
This library interacts with mesh data mostly through iMesh including accessing the mesh in parallel. It also can interact with iGeom interface to provide geometry functionality such as importing solid model based geometries. iGeom and iMesh are implemented in the CGM and MOAB packages, respectively. For some non-existing functions in iMesh such as tree-construction and ray-tracing, MeshKit also interacts with MOAB functions directly.
MeshKit is maintained in a world-readable repo located at https://bitbucket.org/fathomteam/meshkit. If you would like to participate in the development of MeshKit, contact Vijay Mahadevan and Rajeev Jain for getting write access to the MeshKit repository hosted in BitBucket.
To report issues, please use: https://bitbucket.org/fathomteam/meshkit/issues/new
- Doxygen based documentation
- Users Guide
- Developers Guide
- Examples with detailed documentation
- CS&E 2011 presentation on MeshKit 0.9
- Binding to Python
MeshKit-Based Software Services
There are several algorithms and software tools built in MeshKit. A detailed list of all algorithms is available on the doxygen page: All MK Algorithms. A few software services offered by MeshKit are highlighted below:
- RGG – Reactor Geometry and Mesh Generator
- Sealing Faceted CAD Geometry
- PostBL: Post-mesh Boundary Layer Mesh Generation Tool
- One-to-One Sweep
- Detailed instruction on installing MeshKit on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit
- Configuring and building MeshKit with all dependencies
- Building MeshKit with EBMesh feature
- Building and installing MeshKit with Python Bindings
- Building MeshKit with Mesquite dependencies
See: Downloads page
There are two mailing lists for MeshKit:
To send a message, send it to meshkit-dev _at_ mcs.anl.gov.